The parish council has a vacancy for one councillor and according to the Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) Rules 1996, the Parish Council should, as soon as practicable, co-opt a person to fill the vacancy.
The appointment is entirely at the discretion of the Parish Council, provided, of course, that the person co-opted is qualified to act as a councillor in accordance with one of the following:-
- be a local government elector of the Parish.
- has, during the whole of the 12 months preceding the day on which he/she was nominated as a councillor, occupied as tenant or owner, any land or other premises in the Parish
- his/her principal or only place of work in the 12 months preceding the day on which he/she is nominated as a councillor has been in the area of the Parish
- has resided either in the Parish or within three miles thereof during the whole of the 12 months preceding the day on which he/she is nominated as a candidate.
There are certain disqualifications of which the main are:-
- having been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than three months during the five years preceding the election
- being disqualified under any enactment to corrupt or illegal practises
If you are interested in joining the parish council please complete and return the application form to the parish clerk by the 1st July 2021.
Posted: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 21:30 by Helen Chadwick